Biochemist Postdoc Fellow
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Job Number: 7075202 (Ref #: 16762)
- Posting Date: Feb 17, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionBiochemist Postdoc Fellow - 91884
Organization: MB-Molecular Biophys & Integ Bio
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL) Biosciences Division has an opening for a Biochemist Postdoc Fellow to join the team.
In this exciting role, you will develop and apply biophysical and biochemical techniques to address questions relevant to understanding structural cell biology for multi-component biological macromolecules. You will aid in the characterization of biological processes.
You will be part of a team that designs, develops and applies synchrotron methods to characterize macromolecules and the assemblies they form. Primary tools will include small angle X-ray scattering (SAXS). However accessible and ancillary techniques include X-ray crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy and X-ray tomography. We seek to develop and improve overlaps with all techniques either in joint application or through software development. You will develop and maintain software for SAXS analysis or the collection of SAXS data. You will work at the Advanced Light Source synchrotron and be required to develop interdisciplinary skills to communicate with other beamline staff, engineers and physicists responsible for beamline application and development.
What You Will Do:
• Participate with other members of the SIBYLS team in design and implementation of instrumentation and methodology that will maximize efficient and productive data analysis from both SAXS and crystallography. This will include improving automation. Duties as part of the team will include beamline maintenance and user support.
• Publish scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and present findings at seminars and conferences.
• Participate in the development of grant proposals for new research directions and preparation of competing renewals of current research grants.
• Maintain an accurate and detailed online laboratory notebook of all experiments performed and provide sufficient details to ensure methods and results can be duplicated by others.
• Collaborate with program projects that utilize the beamline for research and develop new collaborations as appropriate to further the scientific goals of the SIBYLS programs.
• Cooperate with other members of the SIBYLS beamline and the Advanced Light Source division.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
• Participate in professional scientific activities, e.g., reviews of papers, research proposals, etc.
• Support and contribute to the development of research project ideas and proposals.
• Participate in relevant professional societies with relevance to the program and group activities.
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in biology, chemistry, physics or related degree.
• Competent computer skills.
• Capacity to work with a large team of investigators.
• Ability to take detailed notes so that work could be replicated.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work in a diverse environment.
• Experience in structural biology.
• Python programming.
• Experience in the purification of proteins.
• Work in cancer related fields.
• Work on microbial systems.
• This is a full-time 1 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values at Berkeley Lab. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. Successful candidates for our faculty positions will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to advancing equity and inclusion.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=192428 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html). Click here (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.