Post Doctoral Associate
- University of Massachusetts Medical School
- Location: Worcester, MA
- Job Number: 7070678
- Posting Date: Oct 7, 2020
- Application Deadline: Dec 7, 2020
The University of Massachusetts Medical School
• Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Postdoctoral Associate in Viral Immunology
A postdoctoral associate position is available in the Luzuriaga Lab for a highly motivated candidate with a PhD in immunology, virology, molecular biology, or a related discipline.
The Luzuriaga Lab is embedded in the vibrant research environment of the Program in Molecular Medicine at the University of Massachusetts Medical School and is highly collaborative with other labs within and external to UMMS. Work in the lab focuses on understanding viral and host factors that contribute to the establishment of persistent viral infections, including human immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1) and Epstein Barr virus (EBV).
The selected candidate will apply a combination of molecular techniques performed directly ex vivo using purified cell fractions from blood and tissues, in order to define key features of replication-competent HIV-1 proviruses in macrophage-lineage cells. Results of this work will be relevant to the development of new approaches to treat HIV-1 associated neurological disease, as well as strategies to eradicate persistent HIV-1 reservoirs.
This project provides an excellent opportunity to learn and further develop a variety of techniques. The selected candidate will work independently to design and execute experiments. Results of this project will be presented at seminars and scientific meetings, which may involve travel. The post-doctoral fellow will also prepare and submit manuscripts.
Qualifications: Education, experience and skills required for consideration:
• Ph. D. in immunology, virology or related disciplines
• Strong work ethic, highly motivated to apply skills towards solving biological problems
• Excellent analytical skills and independent judgement
• Highly collegial and works well as a team member
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate with precision and tact
• Meticulous record keeping, proficiency with databases
• Hands-on experience in deep sequencing techniques, including RNAseq, highly preferred
• Experience with bead-based or flow cytometric cell separation techniques highly preferred
Applicants should submit the following materials by email to firstname.lastname@example.org: a letter describing current research activities and your interest in this position, a CV (including publications), and contact information for three references, one of which should be your Ph.D. advisor.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/hhfvjxkjq79d2hv5