Postdoctoral Associate (Ref: IRG_AMR_2020_010)
- Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART) Centre
- Location: Singapore, Singapore
- Job Number: 7070673 (Ref #: IRG_AMR_2020_010)
- Posting Date: Oct 6, 2020
- Application Deadline: Nov 7, 2020
Job DescriptionProject Overview
The long-standing dogma in biomedical research is that genetic information in DNA is transcribed into RNA and then translated into functional proteins. This is the “how” of protein production. Recent research has revealed that dozens of natural chemical modifications of the nucleotide building blocks of RNA – the epitranscriptome – control when and how much protein is produced in a cell. While modifications of RNA have been known for decades, it has only recently been discovered that the patterns of epitranscriptomic “marks” are on-off switches for expressing 20,000 genes. Given the abundance of genetic information controlled by RNA modifications, it is not surprising that defects in their regulation have been implicated in more than 70 human diseases. This project focuses on evaluating epitranscriptome-based diseases and epitranscriptome enzyme targets against which to initiate development of novel therapeutics.
The candidate will perform an evaluation of epitranscriptome-based diseases and enzyme targets to assess potential for development of novel therapeutics.
Laboratory work will involve culturing of mammalian cell lines and bacteria, possible in vivo work with small animal disease models, therapeutic target expression (protein expression and purification), and in vitro assay development.
• A Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Biology or related fields.
• Experience with proteins/enzymes (i.e. protein expression and purification)
• Good knowledge in molecular biology.
• Experience in mammalian, yeast, and bacterial cell culture.
• Experience in therapeutics development is a plus.
• Excellent tract of record in publications and scientific output.
• Independent with good analytical skills.
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral communication in English) and with co-workers from different scientific backgrounds.
• A strong interest in drug development.
• Knowledge in business development, start-up or industry experience are a plus.
To apply, please visit our website at: http://smart.mit.edu/careers/career-opportunities. Interested applicants are invited to send in their full CV/resume, cover letter and list of three references (to include reference names and contact information). We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.