Post-Doctoral Fellow, Preformulation
- Boehringer Ingelheim
- Location: Ridgefield , CT
- Job Number: 7063282 (Ref #: REQ #1913560)
- Posting Date: Jan 29, 2020
Job DescriptionPost-Doctoral Fellow, Preformulation – REQ #1913560
Boehringer Ingelheim is currently seeking a driven and innovative Post-Doctoral Fellow to join our Preformulation group in the Material & Analytical Sciences department located at our Ridgefield, CT facility.
The post doc will work within the preformulation group for prediction of gastrointestinal drug absorption, using in vitro techniques. The project targets development of new in vitro tools that will better describe drug transport in the small and large intestine as well as the diffusion across the mucosa. Focus is on generating more complete small scale predictive tools for predicting the supersaturation in the intestine with regard to pH and bile gradients, and differences in physiology of the mucosa. The developed tools are expected to facilitate the understanding of drug transport, drug dissolution and release, drug diffusion across cell membrane, and hence, improve the assessment of formulation performance. Techniques to be used in the project are strongly related to biorelevant profiling and molecular pharmaceutics with material and particle characterization, dissolution and release studies, and concentration determination with UPLC/UV.
On top of the project described above the post doc will have the freedom to work on another project of choice on the basis of the group’s capabilities. Applicants are encouraged to propose such work in the field of preformulation, biopharmaceutics or molecular pharmaceutics, respectively.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Design and conduct a variety of dissolution/flux experiments aimed at understanding gastrointestinal absorption of small molecules.
• Investigation of drug dissolution properties and underlying mechanisms.
• Development/refinement of in vitro characterization tools for monitoring of drug supersaturation.
• Search, study, and compile scientific and patent literature.
• Compilation of results in reports, presentations, and scientific publications.
• Establish an international reputation in an area of expertise with publications and conference participation; represent Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceutical, Inc. (BIPI) as a scientific leader at both internal and national/international conferences, meetings and organizations.
• Comply with all applicable regulations, performing all work in a safe manner; maintain proper records in accordance with SOPs and policies.
• Contribute towards mentoring colleagues.
• Perform other tasks as assigned by mentor in a timely manner.
Desired Experience, Skills, and Abilities:
• Original thinking, high level of motivation, and ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
• Previous work with biorelevant dissolution profiling is meritorious.
• In-depth knowledge of gastrointestinal anatomy and physiology, absorption models, application of thermodynamic and physicochemical principles to drug absorption.
• Knowledge in pharmacokinetics and in vivo – in vitro correlation are advantageous.
• Ability to collaborate with colleagues interested in predictive techniques for drug absorption across functional teams.
• Ability to think and plan strategically as well as tactically.
• PhD degree in pharmaceutics or related discipline.
• Background in pharmaceutical technology, formulation, drug delivery, and analytical characterization.
• Extensive laboratory research experience and desire to continue in a laboratory focused role.
• Extensive expertise and practical experience in in vitro methods to study drug dissolution and bioavailability.
• Exceptional writing, presenting, and communicating skills.
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
• Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required).
• Must be 18 years of age or older.
Boehringer Ingelheim is a different kind of pharmaceutical company, a privately held company with the ability to have an innovative and long term view. Our focus is on scientific discoveries that improve patients' lives and we equate success as a pharmaceutical company with the steady introduction of truly innovative medicines. Boehringer Ingelheim is the largest privately held pharmaceutical corporation in the world and ranks among the world's 20 leading pharmaceutical corporations. At Boehringer Ingelheim, we are committed to delivering value through innovation. Employees are challenged to take initiative and achieve outstanding results. Ultimately, our culture and drive allows us to maintain one of the highest levels of excellence in our industry. Boehringer Ingelheim, including Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA, Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health USA, Inc., Merial Barceloneta, LLC and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce - Minority/Female/Protected Veteran/Person with a Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Boehringer Ingelheim is firmly committed to ensuring a safe, healthy, productive and efficient work environment for our employees, partners and customers. As part of that commitment, Boehringer Ingelheim conducts pre-employment verifications and drug screenings.