Postdoctoral Associate - Molecular Virology and Microbiology
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Location: Houston, TX
- Job Number: 7057712 (Ref #: 310260MV)
- Posting Date: Jun 13, 2019
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Alkek Center for Metagenomics and Microbiome Research (CMMR) in the Department of Molecular Virology and Microbiology at the Baylor College of Medicine is seeking a postdoctoral fellow to support the development of new techniques and protocols that will take advantage of versatile microfluidic systems. As a post-doctoral scientist in CMMR, you will work to develop novel microbial enrichment technologies with the goals of improving downstream biological analyses.
The successful candidate will have a scientific background in instrument design and/or development, fluidic and microfluidic systems, as well as wet-lab experience in the chemistry used in those instruments. In this position the post-doctoral scientist will work cross-functionally with engineering and other R&D Scientists in the development of these novel technologies. In addition to technical qualifications, the ideal candidate will be goal-oriented, inquisitive, collaborative, organized, and be able to thrive in an atmosphere of shifting demands and priorities.
- Hands-on evaluation, testing and development of new cell separation technologies, bio-detection & molecular sample preparation technologies.
- Execute studies with limited guidance or direction.
- Maintain detailed experimental records and document results in technical reports in a laboratory notebook.
- Establish prototype specifications for initial feasibility studies.
- Work collaboratively and participate in group meetings
- Analyze data using statistical tools such as Microsoft Excel
- Analyze data and implement electronic controls and measurement subsystems using Matlab, LabView, or some other programming languages.
- Perform physics simulations with software tools such as COMSOL or FlexPDE.
- Perform prototype optimization experiments.
- Prepare microbial cell cultures, colony counting, and preparing microbial cell culture media.
- Prepare and purify DNA and RNA and perform real-time PCR assays and/or sample prep for DNA sequencing as required.
- Perform basic microscopy and more advanced fluorescence imaging techniques.
- Maintain and promote a safe working environment.
- Enhance the CMMR's scientific knowledge by your own scientific background, connections and understanding of the scientific literature.
- Understanding of and ability to persuade others of value of projects.
- Participate and present data at internal technical meetings and prepare progress reports.
- If asked, present at external scientific meetings.
- Ph.D. in Bioengineering, Biomedical Engineering, or related fields
- Publication(s) in a peer reviewed journal
- Research experience and/or demonstrated interest in host-microbial interactions
- Experience in bioinformatics analysis
- Hands-on experience with fabricating microfluidic devices is preferred.
- Knowledge and experiences with electrokinetic phenomena are preferred.