Date Posted: Apr 19, 2019
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
University of Texas at El Paso
Job ID: 4095
Job Title: Post-Doctoral Fellow
Department: Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy
FLSA Status: Exempt
Under general supervision and with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment, performs complex research work by assisting in the development, implementation, and monitoring of specialized research projects. May train and supervise the work of others.
Statement of Duties and Responsibilities:
• Handles and works with human and rodent blood platelets
• Expertly utilizes research instrumentation, such as balances, centrifuges, scintillation counters, pH meters and other common laboratory equipment.
• Participates in conducting research projects by collecting data from experiments, and analyzing data as appropriate
• Demonstrates excellent hand-eye coordination necessary for tasks such as cell culture, microliter pipetting, etc.
• Provides written reports (including abstracts & manuscripts for publications) of research findings and literature search, as/when requested
• Maintains and monitors an inventory/database of supplies, chemicals, etc. needed for research activities
• Prepares, labels, and stores reagents in appropriate manner for use in research projects
• Assists department leadership in ensuring that the research laboratory is in compliance with safety codes/policies
• Maintains equipment in general working order, notifying department leadership of major equipment problems
• Participates in the training of any new personnel
• Works independently without need for constant supervision or guidance
• Assists in the collection and maintenance of files on scientific literature related to the research activities.
• Attends seminars and meetings related to research activities of the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences research scientists.
• Ensures laboratory is well-organized and clean.
• Demonstrates ability to organize files for supplies, chemicals, equipment, literature, etc.
• Works collaboratively with supervisory personnel at all levels
• Utilizes organizational skills necessary to prioritize workload for self and team
• Communicates effectively, both verbally and in writing, using the English language
• Flexibility to work based on the needs of the projects; this may necessitate some nights and weekends.
• Knowledge of all Microsoft Office software and able to learn and use institutional software systems.
• Complies with all State and University policies.
• Other duties may be assigned.
• Supervisory Responsibilities: May carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's objectives, policies and applicable laws.
Required Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PhD in Pharmacology or a related field, and proven effectiveness and contribution in a wet bench research environment; experience with rodents, standard molecular biology techniques, and western blot protocol helpful
Experience in a research laboratory with focus on platelet biology and signaling is preferred.
About The University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP)
Located in one of the largest binational communities in the world, The University of Texas at El Paso is unique among research institutions. UTEP enrolls more than 25,000 students, most of whom are Hispanic. The Brookings Institution in 2017 ranked UTEP as the No.1 leader in equal access to higher education, based on a combination of research productivity and student social mobility. The University has annual research expenditures of $95 million, maintains an operating budget of $500 million and employs 4,000 people. With 172 bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs available in eight colleges and schools, UTEP is the first national research university serving a 21st century student demographic.
UTEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates may apply by visiting www.utep.edu/employment
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/zc9cxwtckrdqfh4x