Date Posted: Feb 21, 2018
Application Deadline: Mar 18, 2018
- Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia, Australia
- Job Number: 7050086 (Ref #: 56008)
- Posting Date: Feb 21, 2018
- Application Deadline:
Mar 18, 2018
• An outstanding opportunity to launch your research career.
• Work with world-leading research scientists.
• Join CSIRO Australia's premier scientific research organisation.
As a Postdoctoral Fellow you will work closely with a leading Research Scientist to carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO with the possibility of novel and important scientific outcomes. You will also have the opportunity to present the findings in appropriate publications and at National and International conferences.
In this role as a Postdoctoral Fellow, you will work closely with Dr David Yeates to develop a research program in the phylogenomics of Diptera. Yeates and colleagues in ANIC and international collaborators have generated transcriptome data for over 120 Diptera species, including critical taxa for phylogenomic analysis. Phylogenomic analysis of these sequences will allow for an increased understanding of the phylogenetic relationships of Diptera and result in significant publications in high impact journals.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Under the direction of senior research scientists, carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO.
• Assemble, curate and analyse genomic data from Diptera for phylogenetic analysis.
• Prepare the results of these studies for publication in high impact journals.
• Sample, identify and prepare additional Diptera samples for genomic sequencing and assembly.
• Produce high quality scientific papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports and granting of patents.
Location: Canberra, ACT
Salary: AU$83K - AU$91K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
Job reference: 56008
To be successful you will need:
• A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area such as Entomology.
Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part -time equivalent) of relevant postdoctoral experience.
• High level written and oral communication skills.
• A record of publications in quality, peer reviewed journals.
• Demonstrated ability to analyse insect phylogenomic data for publication using established pipelines.
• Contemporary knowledge of Diptera phylogenetics.
• Demonstrated ability to sample, preserve and identify Brachyceran Diptera.
Before you apply please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position description document
The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
The National Research Collections of Australia: CSIRO is the custodian of a number of collections of animal and plant specimens that contribute to national and international biological knowledge. Together, they constitute a vast storehouse of information about Australia’s biodiversity and underpin a significant part of the country’s taxonomic, genetic, agricultural and ecological research - making these vital resources for conservation and the development of sustainable land and marine management systems.
How to apply: Apply on-line at: https://jobs.csiro.au/
Applications close: 11:59pm AEDT, 18 March 2018