T32 Research Fellow - Bergman Lab - Diabetes & Obesity
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7110285 (Ref #: HRC0878725B)
- Posting Date: Sep 11, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Principal Investigator, Richard Bergman, PhD, is looking for a T32 Research Fellow to join the team!
At the Bergman Laboratory in the Cedars-Sinai Diabetes and Obesity Research Institute, we are studying the relationships between obesity, insulin resistance, and diabetes. We are examining the mechanisms by which increased stored fat reduces the sensitivity of tissues, especially skeletal muscle and fat, to the hormone insulin. We are studying why resistance to the hormone insulin predisposes individuals to diabetes mellitus, defined as increased blood glucose. Our goal is to identify compounds or procedures that can reduce obesity or that can suppress the linkage between obesity and insulin resistance, and between insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes.
To learn more about Dr. Bergman's Lab, please visit Bergman Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
As a NIH/NHLBI T32-supported Research Fellow, you will work independently and in consultation with the Principal Investigator (PI) as well as other Research Scientists to perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period. You may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols, participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author, and operate and maintain equipment and instrument.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interpret data for analysis and troubleshooting in areas of biochemistry, cell culture, RNAi, in vivo, and microscopy imaging.
- Present and disseminate research through oral presentations.
- Writes original research articles for publication in scientific journals.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation, as well as analyze the results in collaboration with PI.
- Presence and participation required at lab meetings and conferences.
- Participates in training of laboratory staff and junior lab members.
- Assists PI to write IACUC study protocols and may assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- Works with large animals and help with surgical procedures, as needed.
Doctorate (MD or PhD) in area directly related to field of research specialization required.
Experience and Skills:
- Acquires technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- One (1) year of technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives, preferably as part of a post-doctoral appointment.
- Demonstrated ability to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, analysis and operation, as well as knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
Working Title:T32 Research Fellow - Bergman Lab - Diabetes & Obesity
Department:BMS - General
Business Entity:Academic / Research
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.