Postdoctoral Scientist - McGovern Lab - Inflammatory Bowel and Immunobiology Research Institute
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7110283 (Ref #: HRC0412282G)
- Posting Date: Sep 11, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Principal Investigator, Dermot McGovern, MD, PhD is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the team!
When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion, and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it’s just one of the many reasons why we rank as one of the top hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
The Cedars -Sinai F. Widjaja Foundation Inflammatory Bowel and Immunobiology Research Institute (IBIRI) is searching for a highly motivated Postdoctoral Scientist to be a part of an exciting opportunity within Dr. Dermot McGovern's research laboratory! IBIRI refers to chronic inflammatory conditions of the intestines, including Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. The Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal (GI) Surgery Program at Cedars-Sinai is the No. 2 program nationwide. The internationally recognized IBD specialists at Cedars-Sinai are dedicated to providing outstanding, patient-centered care for the management of IBD, and are engaged in groundbreaking research to help cure these diseases.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
The McGovern Laboratory, or the Translational Genomics Group (TGG), is focused on identifying genetic variants associated with both Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis and then investigating their functional effects and also their role in determining disease behavior and natural history, including response to therapy. These studies are designed, in part, to discover new therapies for IBD as well as to enhance our ability to apply a personalized approach to managing our patients in the clinic and to ensure that all populations benefit from these advances. The TGG is an integral part of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and International IBD Genetics Consortia as well as a member of the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation Microbiome Initiative and The Human Microbiome Project 2. Work in the McGovern Laboratory includes significant statistical and computational biology components, and the lab is developing novel methods for integrating multi-omic datasets together with clinical metadata. To learn more about the McGovern Lab please visit: McGovern Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai (cedars-sinai.org)
In this role, the Postdoctoral Scientist will be expected to work independently under the direction of the Principal Investigator (P.I.) as well as in cooperation with other research staff. As a Postdoctoral Scientist, perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout the training period and may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols. The post doc is responsible for analyzing and interpreting data.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the P.I.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments
Department Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Keeps accurate and detailed project records of experiments and results.
- Observes and complies with safety standards and procedures.
- Assist in preparation of grant proposals by providing bioinformatics and imaging content and analysis, descriptions of analytic approaches
- Publish and present research as author or co-author.
- Develop, adapt, and implement novel statistical algorithms and pipelines for data analyses of NGS, image and other OMICS data sets.
- Utilize various genomics and bioinformatics analytic tools to identify causal mechanisms underlying IBD.
- Communication of bioinformatics analyses to Translational Genomics Group, biologists, clinicians, pathologists, and national collaborators.
- Designs, conducts and collaborates on new and established research projects.
- Provide statistical support in collaboration with other research staff.
Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization. MD or PhD, preferred.
Experience and Skillset:
- Highly motivated and works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis, and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Knowledge, analysis, operation and maintenance of specialized equipment and safety standards.
- Previous experience in NGS and RNA-seq analysis, preferred.
Working Title:Postdoctoral Scientist - McGovern Lab - Inflammatory Bowel and Immunobiology Research Institute
Department:Home Dept - Gastroenterology
Business Entity:Academic / Research
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.