Intern - Unmanned Systems & Autonomy - R&D Graduate Year-Round
- Sandia National Laboratories
- Location: Albuquerque, NM
- Job Number: 7108619 (Ref #: 685236)
- Posting Date: Aug 19, 2022
Job DescriptionWhat Your Job Will Be Like: We are seeking a Year Round
- R&D Graduate Intern to join our dynamic team! On any given day, you may be called on to: + Work in support of staff members and postdoctoral appointees to develop and test robotic, electromechanical, uncrewed and/or autonomous systems for projects in a fast-paced team environment. + Work on projects related to robotic, electromechanical, uncrewed and/or autonomous systems. + Working on or with electromechanical integration of sensorized robotic vehicles, developing software solutions to implement on physical components, and/or the conduct of experiments to evaluate new technologies. + Perform hardware and software tests and document results, under supervision of professional research and development staff. + You may also contribute to manuscripts for publication. This position will require the successful candidate to work part-time onsite at the Albuquerque, NM complex during the school year and full-time onsite during summer 2023. COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate: Sandia demonstrates its commitment to public safety in the national interest by requiring that all new hires be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical or religious accommodation before commencing employment. The requirement also applies to those who are telecommuting and working virtually. Any concerns about the ability to meet this requirement should be directed to HR Solutions at (505) 284-4700. Posting Duration: This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time. Qualifications We Require: You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements: + Earned bachelor's degree + Currently attending and enrolled full time in an accredited science, engineering, or math graduate program + Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0 + Ability to work up to 30 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer + U.S. citizenship Qualifications We Desire: + BS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, or related field + Enrolled in graduate program in Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, or related field + Interest in working in a team environment on the development and testing of novel technologies for robotic, uncrewed, or autonomous systems + Experience with 3D CAD software and designing and building mechanical, electrical, and/or electromechanical systems + Experience with computer programming + Experience with software development or computer programming relevant to the use of emerging autonomous robot simulations and hardware. Experience with programming in Python, C/C++, and/or the Robot Operating System (ROS). Experience working with Gazebo and RVIZ. + Experience with the development, testing, programming, or use of robotic, mechatronic, uncrewed, autonomous or wirelessly controlled systems (for example, aerial drones) About Our Team: Our Unmanned Systems & Autonomy Department specializes in autonomous operations of uncrewed systems, advanced controls, miniature mechanical design and fabrication, advanced drive system development, and the human/machine interface. We advance security by providing next generation remote systems and autonomy solutions. We have established leadership in this field through capabilities such as active, autonomous perception, distributed control of heterogeneous systems, real-time control of dynamic systems, miniature mechatronic design and fabrication, and advanced human-machine interface R&D. With innovative facilities and the creation of a formal UAS Aviation Operations Unit (UAOU), which will coordinate all UAS work across Sandia, we are using subject matter experience in uncrewed systems R&D to design and deploy systems to address critical national security challenges. The department conducts numerous active research, development and application projects for a variety of customers, both internal to Sandia and across the national security establishment, and collaborates heavily with partners across Sandia. The department is one of five in the Autonomy and Unmanned Systems Group within the Weapon and Force Protection Center
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs: + Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide + Extraordinary co-workers + Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world + Career advancement and enrichment opportunities + Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home) + Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance* World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted. Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment. EEO: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law. Job ID: 685236
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.