Project Scientist (Mass Spectrometry Senior Scientist) - Smidt Heart Institute - Van Eyk Lab
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7106681 (Ref #: HRC0808576)
- Posting Date: Jul 26, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
As a Project Scientist (Mass Spectrometry Senior Scientist), you will work independently and in cooperation with the Principal Investigator to make significant and creative contributions to a research or creative project in any academic discipline. You may be an ongoing member of a research team or may be employed for a limited period of time to contribute high-level skills to a specific research or creative program. Project Scientists are not required to carry out independent research or to develop an independent research reputation and do not have teaching responsibilities. Ordinarily, the Project Scientist title will carry out research or creative programs as well as administration of day-to-day lab operations with supervision by a member of the Professorial Series.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITES:
The Mass Spectrometry Senior scientist will be responsible for independent operation and maintenance of several LC-MS systems. Operation will consist of planning and driving research projects, clinical studies and trials with the assistance of research scientists and post-doctoral fellows. Maintenance will consist of routine instrument cleaning, calibration following established SOPs and troubleshooting of system errors. The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Strong leadership experience and communication skills.
- The ability to independently conduct research while accomplishing established goals.
- Work closely with academic lab leadership, key opinion leaders and PIs in order to appropriately evaluate/validate established and new quantitative mass spectrometry via LC/MS, digital immunoassays, or related techniques for protein and or small molecule analysis.
- Maintain assigned lab efficiency standards, with a consistent focus on project deadlines, and performance metrics.
- Review and write up standard operating procedures, research and clinical study reports, and peer-reviewed scientific publications.
- Research associates may in part report to this position; as such, the candidate will participate in staff performance assessment and career development.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, submissions, publications and presentations but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May serve as PI for certain grants as approved by supervising member of the Professorial Series.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- May develop, adapt and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Assists in lab experiments.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- May lead or train Staff Research Associates and Research Fellows.
- Will assist in day-to-day laboratory activities.
- Appointees on an academic trajectory will be expected to commit a portion of their time to developing an independent range of research.
- PhD or highest degree in analytical chemistry or similar field is required
- Demonstrated significant, original, and creative contributions to a research or creative program or project
- Completion of Postdoctoral appointment in area of specialization
- A minimum of three (3) years as a Postdoctoral Fellow.
- Completion of postdoctoral appointment in area of specialization.
- Knowledge of PI’s area of research specialization.
- Demonstrated technical competency in a variety of research techniques and protocols.
- One to five (1-5) years’ experience in operation of LC-MS systems.
- Scientific background in mass spectrometry (MS) and analytical chemistry with direct hands on experience in development of LC-MS/MS assays for small molecules, peptides, and proteins.
- Experience with assay automation, multiplexing, and validation.
- Strong organization and scientific writing skills, with a record of contributions to publications.
- Demonstrated experience with managing deadlines and people.
- Experienced with implementation of high throughput mass spectrometry, automation technology, and multiplexing biomarker assays, preferred.
- Familiarity of Proteomics software and Bioinformatics tools, preferred.
- Three (3) years of project management experience is preferred.
- Working Title: Project Scientist (Mass Spectrometry Senior Scientist) - Smidt Heart Institute - Van Eyk Lab
- Department: Heart Institute Operations
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.