NASA Research Scientist
- The Bionetics Corporation
- Location: Mountain View, CA
- Job Number: 7092191
- Posting Date: Jan 13, 2022
- Application Deadline: Feb 28, 2022
Job DescriptionPOSITION TITLE: NASA Research Scientist
LOCATION: NASA Ames Research Center
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: FLS Non-Exempt
HOURS: Scheduled hours may vary dependent upon contract requirements
Conduct biological research associated with one or more complex projects within the NASA Ames Research Center’s Bioengineering Branch. Primary focus will be on designing, building, and analyzing a microbiology experiment for the International Space Station (ISS). The goal of the experiment is to complete multi-omics analysis of Arthrospira platensis during 6-months of continuous photoautotrophic growth.
• Master's degree from an accredited university in a biological discipline with 3+ years’ professional experience or a Doctoral degree with 0-3 years’ of experience.
• Laboratory experience in genomics, molecular biology, microbiology/plant biology, biochemistry/analytical chemistry, omics sample preparation, and omics data analysis.
• Familiarity with best practices for working with hazardous materials and willingness to adhere to NASA-defined processes.
• Experience with Microsoft Office and command line computer operating systems such as Linux, Unix, or R.
• Ability to communicate effectively with scientists, engineers, and external scientific service providers from a wide range of technical backgrounds.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as analytical problem-solving abilities.
• Track record of communicating scientific results through conference presentations and peer-reviewed journal articles.
• Capacity to work independently and efficiently with minimal instruction.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
• Complete experimental research to determine spaceflight experiment design requirements, develop/build the flight payload, and prepare samples for omics analysis.
• Support science components of flight operations that may require travel and/or extended hours.
• Conceive and design laboratory experiments and actively participate in project planning.
• Generate, record, analyze, and compile experimental data.
• Complete statistical analysis of whole genome sequences, transcriptome sequences, proteomics, and metabolomics data.
• Submit data to appropriate public databases.
• Prepare figures for presentation/publication and collaborate with other scientists in publishing research findings.
• Draft scientific materials for public outreach and/or publication.
• Present research at scientific conferences.
• Maintain a safe and organized laboratory area.
• Perform laboratory duties including management of materials and supplies, equipment, and operations.
• Identify materials and equipment needed for experiments, obtain product information, identify vendors, and assist in the preparation of material and supply acquisition.
• Oversee general state of the laboratory, including scheduled waste removal, decontamination of surfaces, and instrument calibration/upkeep.
• Carry out assigned duties in a manner consistent with defined safety policies and report any safety incidents, potential hazards, or close calls. Assist with identifying and eliminating any unsafe conditions.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Occasionally – Squatting/Crouching, Climbing, Kneeling
• Often – Reaching, Standing, Sitting, Walking, Stooping, Pushing, Pulling, Talking, Hearing, Seeing
• Lifting/Moving Requirements – Minimum of 25 pounds occasionally
APPLY THROUGH OUR ONLINE APPLICATION:
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Employability in the U.S. and pre-employment drug screen required.