Postdoctoral Appointee - Hybrid Superconducting Sensor Integration and Detector R&D
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Lemont, IL
- Job Number: 7088959 (Ref #: ANL-411850)
- Posting Date: Nov 12, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Medium Energy Physics (MEP) group at Argonne’s Physics Division is seeking a postdoctoral appointee to work on R&D of low-temperature electronics for superconducting nanowire particle detectors. The MEP group has strong experience in a wide range of detector systems and participates in detector R&D and experiments at multiple DOE facilities which include the Electron-Ion collider at Brookhaven National Lab or CLAS12 and SoLID at Jefferson Lab.
The successful candidate will work in the MEP group, in close collaboration with Argonne’s Material Science Division and Fermilab’s ASIC group, to work on monolithic integration of low-temperature semiconducting electronics with superconducting particle detectors and logic. The candidate’s work will be part of a broad multi-disciplinary effort with participation from MIT, NASA JPL and NIST. This work presents an opportunity to participate in development of novel detector systems enabling next generation high-impact science at future nuclear physics experiments.
The successful candidate will also have the possibility to gain hands-on experience in detector design, detector simulation and modern data-processing techniques, and have a competitive minimum salary of $69,250 per annual.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Materials Science, Physics, Electronic Engineering, or related field within the last 3 years
- Experience in material characterization of superconductors (resistivity measurements, magnetometry, optical characterization, etc.).
- Prior experience in clean room work and micro-fabrication techniques (electron beam and optical lithography, wet and dry etching techniques) and thin film deposition (magnetron sputtering, PVD, CVD).
- Experience with superconducting devices, preferably nanowire single-photon detectors or superconducting logic.
Additional desirable experience:
- Hands-on experience with cryogenic systems (operation of cryostats, thermometry, vacuum systems, etc.).
- Knowledge of particle detectors and data acquisition systems, including front-end readout electronics.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.