Postdoctoral Appointee - Graphene Based Materials
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Lemont, IL
- Job Number: 7087687 (Ref #: ANL-411631)
- Posting Date: Oct 22, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Separation Science group in the Chemical Sciences & Engineering division at Argonne National Laboratory has an opening for a Postdoctoral Appointee to conduct fundamental research centered on heavy element separations with graphene based two-dimensional materials, as part of a dynamic group with diverse expertized in separations that integrates advanced techniques in surface physics with inorganic, analytical, and physical chemistries.
The successful candidate will contribute to the synthesis and characterization of novel graphene, graphene oxide, and functionalized graphene materials to investigate heavy-metal surface adsorption within a team experienced in advanced synchrotron and laser-based surface probes. The successful candidate will be included in all aspects of data acquisition, interpretation, and presentation, both at scientific conferences and in peer-reviewed literature.
Ideally, we are seeking a candidate with:
- Considerable experience with two dimensional graphene based materials, considerable experience with surface functionalization and characterization.
- Some knowledge would be a plus of high-resolution synchrotron-based X-ray scattering and spectroscopy techniques (such as X-ray reflectivity, X-ray standing waves, and X-ray absorption spectroscopy) and/or optical and vibrational spectroscopy techniques, such as second harmonic generation (SHG) spectroscopy and sum frequency generation (SFG) spectroscopy.
- High motivation to learn these techniques is required.
- Some knowledge of membrane separations, sorbent materials, interfacial physics would be a plus.
- Considerable knowledge of data analyses methods. Considerable skill in both written and oral communication. Considerable skill in working interactively and productively in a multidisciplinary environment. Good ability to work independently on a day-to-day basis.
- Doctorate and 0 to 3 years of work experience.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.