Director of Administration, Research Operations and Global Programs
- Harvard Medical School
- Location: Boston, MA
- Job Number: 7073066
- Posting Date: Dec 11, 2020
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionHarvard Medical School is seeking a Director of Administration in the Office for Research Operations and Global Programs to provide administrative project management, oversee the human resources function in the Office, and manage the finance team and other staff within the Office. The Director of Administration reports to the Chief Research Operations Officer at Harvard Medical School.
The Director Administration oversees and implements the following activities: Administrative project management and planning
• Leads administrative efforts on specific dean’s award programs and dean’s initiatives within the Office, including planning and program development.
• Implements award program lifecycle for specific award programs, including developing a Request for Proposals, assembling a review committee, drafting proposal and budget templates, developing a communications plan, managing the program’s online submission portal (with IT), responding to administrative and financial questions from researchers, implementing the review and decision process, notifying awardees, supporting development of research contracts (with HMS Office of Research Administration), tracking progress of awardees through project period of performance, managing progress report process, closing award programs upon completion.
• Interfaces with HMS Office of Research Administration, HMS Dean’s Office, HMS Office of Finance, HMS Office of Alumni Affairs and Development, HMS IT, Harvard Office of Technology Development, and/or other HMS/Harvard offices and other team members in the Office for Research Operations and Global Programs through all stages of research award process to execute lifecycle.
• Develops organizational structures, business processes, administrative systems, workplans and timelines for specific dean’s initiative research programs.
• Specific portfolio of dean’s award programs and dean’s initiative programs under execution at any given time will change flexibly based on need and capacity, and in discussion with the Chief Research Operations Officer and Dean for Research Operations and Global Programs.
• Serves as member of the HMS Research Operations Working Group, which develops business processes for non-federal and internal award programs; serves as member of HMS Internal Awards Committee, which develops IT systems for award programs.
• Supports, as needed, senior administrative and planning functions of other programs in the Office that may include global programs and the therapeutics initiative.
• Represents the Office for Research Operations and Global Program, Chief Research Operations Officer, and/or Dean for Research Operations and Global Programs in HMS and Harvard committees, as needed.
Oversight of HR / staffing
• Manages the HR function in the Office for Research Operations and Global Programs and related initiatives (e.g., the therapeutics initiative).
• Creates organizational charts and structures for the Office and related initiatives; leads staffing planning, hiring and onboarding processes, performance management systems and issues for a total of over 20 staff across the Office and related initiatives.
• Partners with the Chief Research Operations Officer and HMS HR to execute the above.
Management of finance team and other staff, general management
• Oversees the Associate Director of Finance and the finance team (which currently has two members).
• Works with Chief Research Operations Office and Associate Director of Finance, as needed, in developing long term financial plans, budgets, and execution of financial processes and tracking for the Office, related initiatives, dean’s award programs, and dean’s initiatives.
• Oversees additional administrative staff members in the Office (currently, there are two additional staff members in this category).
• Performs other general managerial tasks, including space management, as needed
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.