Post Doctoral Research Associate - Dietrich College, Department of Philosophy-2015655
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Location: Pittsburgh, PA
- Job Number: 7071280
- Posting Date: Oct 22, 2020
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Carnegie Mellon University’s Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences is not an ordinary liberal arts school. From creative writing and neuroscience to behavioral economics and bioethics, the Dietrich College is home to nine departments and programs as well as research centers that often cross disciplines, allowing our world-class faculty and students to investigate and solve real-world problems.
Carnegie Mellon University’s department of Philosophy is searching for a Post-Doctoral Research Associate. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who thrives in an interesting and challenging work environment. You will contribute to the department by designing and running experiments, and carry out independent or directed research. This is a six month, fixed-term position. The department of Philosophy does research on the foundations of science, ethics, computation, mathematics, value theory, language, and much more. We engage with other disciplines, helping to improve their foundations, methods, and concepts. Our faculty do not remain in the ivory tower, but work with companies, governments, and nonprofits to develop more effective and more ethical technology, techniques, and practices
Core responsibilities will include:
• Carry out advanced independent and/or directed research to achieve the objectives of this research project
• In depth knowledge of a specialized field, process, or discipline
• Organize and implement complex research plans
• Develop methods of research, testing, data collection, analysis and evaluation, and writing reporting which contain descriptive analytical and evaluative content
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the Philosophy department. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
• PhD in Ethics, Artificial Intelligence, Data or Cognitive Science is preferred
• Experience with designing and running experiments is preferred