Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Rice University
- Location: Houston, TX
- Job Number: 7068374
- Posting Date: Jul 28, 2020
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionPosition Summary
OpenStax is a non-profit textbook publisher, learning software producer, and platform for learning research based at Rice University. Our mission is to provide every student with free or low-cost access to high-quality learning materials and tools that help them succeed in their education and career. We have created a library of 29 free and openly licensed college textbooks that have served 6.2 million students, resulting in $576 million dollars in savings. We have created software to help college students in three of those subjects read with more engagement and practice more effectively, incorporating our research team’s expertise in cognitive science and machine learning.
OpenStax seeks a passionate and committed postdoctoral research associate to join the OpenStax team. S/he will focus primarily on research which seeks to understand how student individual difference factors can be considered and incorporated into better personalized learning experiences.
Ph.D. or equivalent doctorate
Psychology, cognitive sciences, or related field
No experience required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as oral presentation skills
- Organization and time management skills
- Knowledge of modern research methods, data collection and analyses
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of learning sciences, cognitive sciences, and psychometrics disciplines
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Ability to work independently and professionally with minimal supervision and direction
Requires working at a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours per day).
- Open office environment
- Occasional travel to work with partners
- May require extended hours during peak periods to meet deadlines (e.g., April thru May)
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.
Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.rice.edu/postings/23919
- Documents, analyzes, and maintains research data
- Assists with proposal development to obtain research funding
- Mentors, oversees, and/or trains junior research team members
- Publishes and presents research findings
- Supports project management and collaboration across institutions or disciplines
- Designs and implements research protocols; adapts new procedures, methods or instrumentation relative to research procedures
- Provides academic services (ie. teaching classes) to the department as required
- Performs all other duties as assigned