CSIRO Postdoctoral fellowship in Polymer Chemistry/ Surface Science
- Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Job Number: 7066854 (Ref #: cj_67348)
- Posting Date: Jun 12, 2020
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- Are you a motivated, early career scientist with interest in Polymer Chemistry/Surface Science?
- Do you have, or will shortly obtain a PhD in a relevant discipline area, such as Chemical Engineering, Material Science / Chemistry, Organic chemistry or Polymer Science?
- Join CSIRO and progress your career with our structured postdoc training program
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
Fouling impacts a wide range of industries and applications around the world. This Postdoctoral fellowship project will design and optimise topologically active surfaces to impart advanced functionality such as self-cleaning, antifouling, antibacterial, anti-insect and anti-ice to surfaces while not impairing the coatings protective and decorative properties
Your duties will include
Under the direction of senior research scientists and engineers, the CERC Postdoctoral Fellow will:
- Carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Undertake experimental work on the design and synthesis of polymer or functional additives. These additives will be designed to self-assemble at the surface to provide permanent surface modification for anti-fouling, self-cleaning, anti-icing or anti-microbial properties.
- Formulate the novel additives into coatings and undertake structure-property studies on the application of these additives into coating systems
- Undertake regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
- Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports and granting of patents.
Location: Clayton, VIC
Salary: $83,687 to $94,679 p.a. plus up to 15.4% Superannuation
Tenure: 3 years term
To be successful you will need
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Chemical Engineering, Material Science/ Chemistry, Organic chemistry or polymer science.
Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- A sound working knowledge and hands-on familiarity with the design and implementation of the techniques of organic and polymer synthesis.
- Experience with characterisation techniques used in the polymers and chemistry industry. For example, but not limited to, NMR,IR, mass spectroscopy, Raman, UV, ELS, GPC, HPLC, GC.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including publishing in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, and presenting at national and/or international conferences.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, including the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
- Experience with material development and formulation
- Experience in techniques for polymer synthesis to provide polymers with chosen molar mass, molar mass distribution, composition, functionality, architecture and sequence distribution. Examples might include organosilane and siloxane compounds and amphiphilic polymers.
- Experience with DoE and automation of chemical reactions or high throughput materials discovery so that composition and property space can be explored
- Experience with surface characterization and analysis techniques such as contact angle, XPS, FTIR/ATR, AFM, SEM/TEM
- This position is open only to Australian and New Zealand Citizens, Permanent and Temporary residents (who have work rights for the duration of the term, without the requirement for visa sponsorship by CSIRO)
- The successful candidate will be asked to consent to National police check. Please note that people with criminal records are not automatically deemed ineligible. Each application will be considered on its merits
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Wednesday 24th June 2020
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date
We’re working hard to build a safe and welcoming culture where people can bring their whole selves to work. Valuing and enabling difference empowers our people, unlocking their potential to innovate and shape the future for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today. We're the people that stay awake solving the world’s big questions. This is true of our science and of our people. Our mission is to create benefit for Australia through impactful science and innovation but we know that that's not possible without an inclusive and diverse culture. We're working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.