Postdoctoral Fellow (Formulation Chemist)
- Houston Methodist Research Institute
- Location: Houston, TX
- Job Number: 7065878
- Posting Date: Apr 24, 2020
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY
Seeking a motivated postdoctoral fellow with experience in formulation chemistry to lead drug formulation developments for therapeutic applications including but not limited to HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis. The candidate will serve as a technical expert and conduct laboratory research related to formulation development in a translational setting. The successful candidate will be responsible for formulation and characterizing therapeutics, as well as implementation in implantable drug delivery devices and animal models.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Independently develop formulations and process for complex and challenging compounds
• Lead all technical aspects of drug formulation projects
• Performs instrumentation analysis as part of pharmaceutical development (e.g., HPLC, GC, FTIR, GPC, etc.).
• Design and execute experiments demonstrating therapeutic/preventative efficacy
• Determine formulation stability, solubility, and perform pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic modeling/studies
• Prepare results for presentations, progress reports, grant applications and manuscript publication in high impact journals
• Provide input on strategic planning for positioning the drug/platform for commercialization and clinical translation
• Work with graduate students and research staff to complete research
• Mentor and instruct junior laboratory members
• Prepare protocols for and lead experiments with both small and large animal models
• Collect both in vitro and in vivo data
• Assure compliance with Methodist policies, rules, and regulations to meet federal, state, and local standards.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Stay current with recent advances and trends in the drug delivery technologies
Doctoral degree (M.D. or Ph.D.) in Pharmaceutics, Physical Pharmacy, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Pharmaceutical sciences, with specific experience in drug formulation preferred.
0-4 years of postdoctoral experience, relevant experience in solving formulations challenges and formulation technologies to improve stability, solubility and bioavailability of poorly water-soluble drug is preferred. Previous experience formulating drugs as long-acting injectables and lyophilized systems is highly desirable.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Relevant experience with drug development and formulation
• Creativity, reliability, and a high amount of personal initiative
• Strong track record of peer-reviewed publications
• Excellent English speaker and writer
• Familiarity with grant and fellowship applications
• Adaptability to join a fast-paced research group
• Ability to work effectively on a team
• Strong interpersonal skills