Postdoctoral Researcher - Engineering & Computer Science (Machine Learning emphasis)
- Stanford University
- Location: Stanford, CA
- Job Number: 7064280
- Posting Date: Feb 20, 2020
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Technology Enabled Clinical Improvement (T.E.C.I.) Center at Stanford University, Department of Surgery (http://med.stanford.edu/tecicenter.html) is looking for a postdoctoral researcher (has completed terminal degree) to conduct data analysis of our sensor and video databases of surgical skills. Our extensive databases consist of force, motion, and EEG sensor data as well as video and audio data for over 20 different simulated clinical tasks and operations. Successful candidates will have a background in electrical engineering or computer science with the focus on machine learning. The postdoc will work closely with junior lab members as well as collaborating medical professionals, engineers, computer scientists, and educators from both industry and academia. The position serves to extend, refine and enhance skills necessary for professional and career development, and will enable the individual to broaden his/her scientific background by acquiring new research capabilities. It is expected that the individual will take the lead role in currently funded lab projects as well as contribute to future funding opportunities. Postdocs will be expected to participate in project planning, recording and interpretation/analysis of data, and communication of results. Postdocs will also be expected to acquire technical, and manuscript/grant writing skills; and participate in seminars, lectures, poster sessions and presentations at national meetings. Postdoctoral fellows also may be required to supervise junior lab members, develop new methods and protocols for research, and assist with the development of other research projects in the lab. The position is available starting immediately, but the start date is negotiable. Interested applicants should email the TECI Center lab manager, Anna Witt (firstname.lastname@example.org), their detailed CV (including the list of publications) and a separate letter describing research background and interests and why you feel you are a good fit for this research project and research team.
• Conduct independent scholarly research and develop new methods and protocols
• Participate in project planning, recording and evaluation of data
• Grant and manuscript writing
• Participate in seminars, lectures, poster sessions and presentation at national meetings
• Supervise junior lab members
• Prioritize and extract data from a variety of sources such as survey results, force sensors, motion-tracking sensors, EEG, video, and audio data streams.
• Determine additional data collection and reporting requirements. Design and customize reports based upon data in the database. Oversee and monitor regulatory compliance for utilization of the data.
• Use system reports and analyses to identify potentially problematic data, make corrections, and eliminate root cause for data problems or justify solutions to be implemented by others.
• Create complex charts and databases, perform statistical analyses, and develop graphs and tables for publication and presentation.
• Manage and archive large data sets of sensor, video, and audio data.
• Install and maintain software and data.
• Maintain detailed records of all analyses.
• Present results and progress updates at lab meetings and make presentations to scientific and industry collaborators.
• Develop, refine, and improve AI-driven feedback tools based on sensor, video, and audio data for use by medical professionals.
• Electronics design and fabrication of new hardware used in data collections.
*- other duties may be assigned
- Proficiency in Machine Learning
- Experience with analysis of motion tracking data using machine learning algorithms
- Experience with the use of artificial intelligence to analyze video data
- Proficiency in running statistical analyses
- Basic knowledge of electrical circuit fundamentals
- Experience in Electronics design and fabrication of new hardware used in data collections.
Education & Experienced (required):
Ph.D. in Electrical or Software Engineering
Knowledge Skills & Abilities (required):
- Advanced proficiency in Python and MATLAB.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Ability & willingness to mentor junior lab members