Postdoctoral Fellowship: Bioinformatics for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Location: Houston, TX
- Job Number: 7059486
- Posting Date: Aug 16, 2019
Job DescriptionThe Postdoctoral Fellowship position in the Ahmed Center for Pancreatic Cancer Research will focus on bioinformatics analysis of NGS data from human tissue and liquid biopsies. Specifically: 1) SNV and CNV calling using a molecular barcoded targeted panels and WES, 2) transcriptomic analysis of bulk RNA sequencing, 3) analysis of single cell RNA, ATAC and CNV sequencing and 4) integrative analysis of DNA and RNA data. This is an opportunity for career growth in the area of translational cancer research alongside a multi-disciplinary team of scientists.
1. Works closely with interdisciplinary research team to quantitatively interrogate hypotheses around tumor related genes/pathways to further advance scientific discovery and clinical therapeutic drug development.
2. Independently proposes innovative solutions to research projects.
3. Independently design, implement, and execute analytical pipelines.
4. Proactively drive the application and development of cutting edge tools to generate and integrate data to support functional genomics, cancer biology, and translational biology.
5. Perform common statistical analysis on biological datasets including parametric and non-parametric tests and data mining.
6. Develop and utilize software for interrogation, visualization, and communication of multidimensional datasets to enable hypothesis generation and data interpretation.
7. Interpret, present and report research findings.
Required: Ph.D. in Computer Science, Genetics, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or a related discipline from an accredited university.
Strong foundation in bioinformatics including experience in the analysis of NGS data (DNA or RNA, but preferably both). Proficient in PERL/Python, Linux, and statistical computing platforms (R, Matlab, etc). Experience manipulating large volume datasets and experience with high performance computing are essential.
Preferred: Background in molecular/cancer biology and genetics. Familiar with common parametric and non-parametric statistical tests (ie. T-test, ANOVA, Wilcoxon- signed-rank test, Fisher's exact test, etc.) appropriate for data normalization and removal of batch effects for data analysis. Experience collaborating with bench biologists in the areas of cancer biology, cell biology, genomics and/or drug discovery. Experience with pathway analysis, network analysis, and transcriptional regulator networks.
Please include a cover letter, and CV, including list of programming languages and bioinformatics tools used noting the number of years/months used.
Contact: Anirban Maitra, M.B.B.S.
Professor and Scientific Director
Sheikh Ahmed Center for Pancreatic Cancer Research
UT MD Anderson Cancer Center
M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability or veteran status except where such distinction is required by law. All positions at The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center are security sensitive and subject to examination of criminal history record information. Smoke-free and drug-free environment.