- United States Air Force Academy, Warfighter Effectiveness Research Center
- Location: USAF Academy, CO
- Job Number: 7059387
- Posting Date: Aug 15, 2019
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Warfighter Effectiveness Research Center (WERC) at the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) is offering a postdoctoral fellowship. The postdoctoral fellow will work closely with Dr. Anthony Ries on an Army Research Laboratory-sponsored project to investigate the impact of feature and state variability on visual search in real-world contexts. The candidate will leverage EEG and or eye tracking methods together with virtual reality technology to isolate the neurophysiological processes involved in visual perception. This is a stipend-based position open to doctoral graduates and ABD doctoral candidates.
Annual stipend: $76,000 plus relocation reimbursement, travel, and professional development.
• Advance the candidate’s technical skills and experience
• Increase the candidate’s competitiveness in the labor market
• Provide collaborative opportunities for career enhancement
• Promote the influx of new skills into the research center
• Enable the warfighter
• Contribute to the growing body of scientific knowledge
• Ph.D. degree in a relevant field (already received, or having completed all requirements and awaiting graduation)
• Detailed technical expertise in one or more of the specific research areas below, including knowledge of the gaps, conflicts, limits, and challenges:
o Eye-tracking visual search
o Visual neuroscience
o Fixation-related potentials
o Event-related potentials
o EEG eye-tracking integration
o VR eye-tracking integration
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
• Strong research skills and experience, including:
o Critical evaluation of literature
o Experimental design
o Project management
o Data analysis techniques
o Fluency in a programming language to perform high-volume analysis (Matlab, Python, etc.)
o Knowledge of statistical analysis software (SPSS, SAS, etc)
o Data Interpretation
• Ability to communicate effectively through the following mediums:
o Conference briefings and talks
o Grant applications
o Scientific publications
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively
• Ability to mentor and coach junior scientists
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should provide the following application package:
• A curriculum vitae
• A letter of recommendation from the candidate’s advisor
• A cover letter which specifically outlines the candidate’s:
o qualifications that address the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above;
o research interests;
o career goals; and
o how the candidate plans to achieve these goals.
Please note that this fellowship requires an NACI background check. References and educational requirements will be verified.
The Warfighter Effectiveness Research Center is the research arm of the Department of Behavioral Sciences and Leadership at the United States Air Force Academy, facilitating faculty and cadet research that enhance warfighter effectiveness.
The WERC conducts a wide range of research and design projects for operational customers including special operations forces, the Air Force Office of Scientific Research, Air Force Research Laboratory, and Army Research Laboratory. These projects are based in the behavioral sciences and connect to a wide range of disciplines and collaborators across government labs, academia, industry, and military operators in order to generate the most innovative and effective solutions.
Please see our website for more information about the Warfighter Effectiveness Research Center: https://www.usafa.edu/research/research-centers/warfighter-effectiveness-research-center/
Dr. Anthony Ries
Research Psychologist, U.S. Army Research Laboratory
Distinguished Visiting Scientist, Warfighter Effectiveness Research Center (WERC)
Department of Behavioral Sciences & Leadership, United States Air Force Academy
NATURE OF THE FELLOWSHIP
Participants will not enter into an employee/employer relationship with USAF, USAFA, ORISE, ORAU, or any other office or agency. Instead, the participant will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the internship through an ORISE appointment letter and Terms of Appointment.