Date Posted: Jul 26, 2019
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Dr. Ayako Makino in the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism at the University of California, San Diego is seeking a highly-motivated Postdoctoral Fellow in Molecular Biology. The area of our research focuses on the vascular complication in diabetes and pulmonary hypertension, in particular mitochondrial function, calcium handling in the endoplasmic reticulum, and cell-cell communication in endothelial and smooth muscle cells. The incumbent must have skills to conduct molecular biological experiments (cloning, development and application of Adenoviral- and Adeno-associated viral vectors, Western Blot, site-directed mutagenesis, qRT-PCR, single-cell RT-PCR).
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform molecular biological experiments (i.e., cloning, development and application of Adenoviral- and Adeno-associated viral vectors, Western Blot, site-directed mutagenesis, qRT-PCR, single-cell RT-PCR).
• Isolate vascular endothelial/smooth muscle cells from mouse heart and lung.
• Conduct fluorescence microscopy experiments to measure Ca2+ and ROS concentration in cytoplasm and mitochondria.
• Data acquisition and analysis, grant and manuscript preparation, and presentation of findings at weekly lab meetings.
• Coordinate with other investigators for lab research including maintaining the function of lab equipment, managing the lab research record (including methodological approaches and animal protocols), and maintaining transgenic mouse colony.
Qualifications Required and Preferred Academic Background:
• Ph.D. in the biomedical sciences and at least two-year work experience in a laboratory are required.
• Skill in conducting cloning, generation of Adv and AAV, site-directed mutagenesis, PCR, qPCR, and WB.
• Skills of animal handling and management of mouse colony.
• Aseptic techniques.
• Ability to write a draft of manuscript and edit the content.
• Knowledge of the principles and techniques of the subject discipline.
According UCSD standards/regulations
Special Instructions to Applicant:
The applicants should send a CV, a letter of Interest, and the names and contract information of three references to the PI at firstname.lastname@example.org . The detailed information about this position could be found at http://postdocservices.ucsd.edu/PostDocOpp/Job/Details/1458 .
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.