Date Posted: Jun 27, 2019
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Macromolecular Postdoctoral Employee - 87330
Organization: MF-Molecular Foundry
Berkeley Lab’s Molecular Foundry Division (https://foundry.lbl.gov/) has an opening for a Postdoc Employee. The postdoctoral fellow will work with researchers in the Imaging and Manipulation of Nanostructures Facility on projects to study the mechanism and dynamics of proteins that are related to human cholesterol metabolism. The approach will be mainly focused on optimization and implication of the Foundry’s in-house developed individual-particle electron tomography (IPET) technique. Research activities will involve biological sample preparation, cryo-TEM operation, image processing. Computer programming and molecular dynamic simulations will be optional.
The Molecular Foundry at Berkeley Lab is a user facility for the design, synthesis and characterization of materials with nanometer dimensions. One of five Nanoscale Science Research Centers established by the U.S. Department of Energy, its charter defines two primary missions: a) conduct outstanding research across the breadth of nanoscience; and b) collaborate with scientists from around the world who visit to use its state-of-the-art instruments, techniques and expertise to further their own nanoscience research efforts. [See http://foundry.lbl.gov/]
What You Will Do:
• TEM specimen preparation
• Cryo-EM operation and data acquisition
• Image processing and data manipulation
• Discuss research results and attend group meetings
• Help maintain instruments and support users
• Document and communicate the results of work in reports and oral presentations, including participation in meetings, reviews, conferences and publications in refereed journals.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
• Computer programming and molecular dynamic simulations
• Biochemistry experiments
• Scientific writing and editing
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Materials Science, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science
• Well scientific writing and reading
• Teamwork capability
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• Research background and experience in TEM, Cryo-EM, crystallography, biochemistry, computer science
• Strong background and experience in mathematics and computer knowledge
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
• This is a full time 1 year postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://22.214.171.124/counter.php?id=163014 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL,http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here (https://commons.lbl.gov/display/hr/Benefits).
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".