Date Posted: Nov 14, 2018
Application Deadline: Dec 15, 2018
The NYU Tandon School of Engineering seeks an accomplished individual for the position of Vice Dean for Research and Industry Partnerships, reporting directly to the Dean of the School. New York University (NYU) is one of the top private universities in the United States. We have an illustrious past as Brooklyn Poly and NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering.
The Vice Dean for Research and Industry Partnerships will work strategically with the Dean and the Tandon Leadership Team to identify focus areas for research and partnerships; identify funding for research and creative endeavors, both in and outside the university; and assist with the development of new and the enhancement of existing research centers and institutes. The Vice Dean will work closely with the newly renamed Vice Dean for Innovation and Entrepreneurship to identify opportunities for the commercialization of intellectual property emanating from faculty research. Since engineering faculty work closely with industrial sponsors, it is paramount that the Vice Dean has the ability to connect faculty and industry sponsors and to manage all aspects of the faculty-industry relationships at high levels.
• Help develop and elevate the strategic advancement and support of the research mission at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering;
• Cultivate and expand relationships with industry, government, and private foundations that support research;
• Work collaboratively to assist faculty across all disciplines in achieving their scholarly goals and in achieving the strategic mission of the research and creative activity enterprise;
• Develop a robust research infrastructure, including identifying necessary staff and implementing effective policies and processes to streamline and manage research at the school level (in coordination with corresponding university offices);
• Ensure tight integration of instruction and research;
• Provide oversight for the entire sponsored award lifecycle—from pre-award to post-award activities—at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering;
• Identify opportunities for the commercialization of intellectual property emanating from faculty research and work closely with the Vice Dean for Innovation and Entrepreneurship to bridge the gap between research and entrepreneurial activities.
The Vice Dean must work closely with all stakeholders at NYU Tandon and with constituents across the university, and must be able to communicate effectively, build collegial relationships, and gain trust through expert work and clear management. In particular, the Vice Dean should:
• Share the vision of Tandon’s scholarly enterprise within a broad and comprehensive research university and provide leadership in pursuing this vision;
• Build strong relationships with others through an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively;
• Identify and build strong relationships with industrial sponsors and manage all aspects of the faculty-industry relationships;
• Promote integration of the research and educational missions of the school;
• Build teams for interdisciplinary research;
• Promote the generation of faculty intellectual property (IP)
• Extensive knowledge of and experience with research funding
• Deep knowledge of and experience with faculty research affairs
• Prior experience and success in building and cultivating industrial and corporate partnerships
• Commitment to and ability to exercise leadership at the school, university, state, national, and international level on issues related to research
• Ability to conduct himself/herself at the highest levels of personal and professional integrity and ethical standards at all times
• Ability to coach, lead, develop, and inspire others to achieve their professional best.
The Vice Dean should create a culture of teamwork and collegiality across all of NYU Tandon and NYU that fosters good communication, respect, and provision of good service, while committing to the process of continuous improvement in the school and the university.
• An advanced degree is required.
• 5 years of experience with progressive leadership responsibility at a major research organization or university, with a focus on research development and support, is required.
• This position may or may not be a faculty position, as appropriate. For candidates who would be hired as faculty members: should have academic credentials as a scholar that warrant appointment as a tenured full professor with international recognition.
• At least five years of experience leading a research support office at a major university or large organization with a diverse research portfolio is preferred.
• Record of success in developing and implementing interdisciplinary, collaborative research strategies that lead to increased funding and support from government, nonprofit, and private sector entities.
• Experience outside of academia (industry research, national laboratories, military, nonprofit research entity, or government research lab) will be considered relevant and valuable.
• Appreciation for academic entrepreneurship.
To apply, please submit to:
• A letter of application outlining your qualifications for this position;
• Names and email addresses for three references.
We will review applications starting December 15 and will continue until we fill the position.
New York University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NYU does not discriminate due to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, unemployment status or any other legally protected basis, and to the extent permitted by law. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.