Date Posted: Oct 20, 2018
A NIH-funded postdoctoral position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Dax Fu in Department of Physiology, John Hopkins School of Medicine. We are seeking a recent graduate of Ph.D. level cell biologist or biochemist to investigate cellular functions of a human zinc transporter (ZnT8) in a collaborative research team to develop precision medicine for early diagnosis and prevention of diabetes. We welcome an energetic individual who genuinely enjoys research and is capable of critical thinking and quick learning. A track record of publications is mandatory in one of the following areas: cell biology, biochemistry and mouse modeling. Research projects will focus on investigating the pathophysiological roles of ZnT8 in pancreatic beta-cells, and elucidating the molecular mechanisms driving ZnT8-targeted therapeutic interventions in various beta-cell and animal models. Our research projects offer excellent career opportunities at the interface of basic research and precision medicine through collaboration with pharmaceutical industry. Applications, including curriculum vitae, contact information for three references, and a brief summary of past accomplishments should be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Relevant publications FYI
1. Merriman C, Huang Q, Rutter GA, Fu D. Lipid-tuned zinc transport activity of human ZnT8 protein correlates with risk for type-2 diabetes, JBC 291(53):26950-26957. (2016)
2. Wan H, Merriman C, Wasserfall HC, Atkinson MA, Mcgrail KM, Liang Y, Fu D, and Dai H. Proteoliposome-based full-length ZnT8 self-antigen for type 1 diabetes diagnosis on a plasmonic platform. PNAS 19;114(38):10196-10201 (2017).
3. Huang Q, Merriman C, Zhang H, Fu D. Coupling of insulin secretion and display of a granule-resident zinc transporter ZnT8 on the surface of pancreatic beta cells, JBC 292(10):4034-4043 (2017).
4. Merriman C, Huang Q, Gu W, Yu L, Fu D. A subclass of serum anti-ZnT8 antibodies directed to the surface of live pancreatic beta-cells, JBC, 293(2):579-587 (2018).
5. Merriman C, Li H, Li H, Fu D. Highly specific monoclonal antibodies for allosteric inhibition and immunodetection of the human pancreatic zinc transporter ZnT8, JBC 293(42):16206-16216 (2018)
More details at: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/profiles/results/directory/profile/3252726/dax-fu