Date Posted: Feb 9, 2018
Application Deadline: Apr 11, 2018
he Pai lab at UMass Medical School is seeking a postdoctoral candidate in the field of RNA biology and functional genomics with relevant experience in experimental and/or computational biology. Our research combines high-dimensional computational analyses with state-of-the-art genetic, molecular, and cellular genomic techniques to probe the molecular mechanisms of RNA maturation (including transcription, splicing, and 3' end processing). We specifically focus on characterizing the kinetics of RNA processing steps to understand the overall speed and efficiency at which RNA molecules are created and processed to ensure proper cellular functions.
Ideal applicants will have a strong background in RNA biology, functional genomics, systems biology, or computational biology/bioinformatics. We desire a candidate with both experimental and computational skills, but encourage applications from scientists motivated to expand their skillset to include both approaches. Applicants must be self-motivated, creative, and able to work in a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary environment.
• Develop and/or apply new molecular, biochemical, and/or computational approaches, perform data analyses, and supervise/train technicians or graduate students.
• Take a strong lead in project design and management for multiple research projects, generate and interpret data, and collaborate with other team members.
• Report results by regularly presenting at scientific conferences and writing scientific manuscripts.
• Tackle cutting-edge problems in biomedical science, interact with world class scientists, and gain experiences or develop skillsets for her/his next career stage.
• Ph.D. in biological sciences (e.g. molecular or cellular biology, genetics, biochemistry), computational sciences (e.g.bioinformatics, computer science, statistics) or related discipline. Ph.D. candidates anticipating thesis defense are encouraged to apply for hire after completion of Ph.D.
• Relevant experimental and/or computational biology research experience, preferably with strong scientific knowledge in eukaryotic RNA biology, gene regulation, or genetics and genomics.
• Experience with high-throughput sequencing data generation or analysis, preferably for genome- or transcriptome-wide datasets (g. RNA-seq, nascent RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, DNase-seq, CLIP-seq).
• Familiarity with Unix/Linux shell and at least one of the following programming languages: C++, PERL, Python, or R.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
• Previous record of independent research, including conference presentations and first-/co-author publications.
• Excellent teamwork, time management, and organizational skills, with the ability to meet deadlines and multi-task across multiple research projects.
To apply, please email the following to Athma Pai email@example.com:
• Curriculum vitae, including complete list of publications and pre-prints.
• Contact information for three referees
• Summary of your present research (1 page max)
• Outline of your future research interests (1 page max)
This position is in the RNA Therapeutics Institute at the University of Massachusetts Medical School in Worcester, MA. To learn more about the Pai lab, please visit http://www.pai-lab.org.
The RNA Therapeutics Institute is an exceptional training environment, with many interactive and highly collaborative research groups uniting researchers studying fundamental RNA mechanisms with the active development of RNA-based therapeutic strategies. The department has strong intellectual and proximity-based links with neighboring groups in Bioinformatics and Integrative Biology (BIB) and the Program in Systems Biology (PSB) at UMass Medical School, creating a stimulating interdisciplinary research environment with world-class expertise in many disciplines relevant for our work.
UMass Medical School is committed to being an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and recognizes the power of a diverse community. We encourage applications from protected veterans, individuals with disabilities and those with varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds to consider UMass Medical School as their employer of choice.
Contact Us: firstname.lastname@example.org