Date Posted: Jan 26, 2018
Application Deadline: Feb 27, 2018
Center for Beam Physics Postdoctoral Scholar (Accelerator Tech-Applied Physics)
Organization: AF-Accelerator Tech-Applied Phys
Berkeley Lab’s Accelerator Technology & Applied Physics Division has an opening for a Center for Beam Physics Postdoctoral Scholar to work in the Accelerator Modeling Program to develop and apply advanced computational methods and tools for beam dynamics simulations. Emphasis will be on modeling the exciting interplay between strongly nonlinear dynamics and space-charge effects in intense beams for novel ring-based accelerators, using massively parallel computing. In addition you will collaborate with, and be a part of, a team developing new capabilities to design, explore, and optimize future ion-, electron-, and plasma-based accelerators. You will work with a team that has developed, or helped develop, some of the most advanced accelerator modeling capabilities in the world, including the codes IMPACT, MaryLie/IMPACT, BeamBeam3D, and Warp.
What You Will Do:
• Model collective effects, including space-charge effects, in high brightness and high intensity ring-based accelerators.
• Develop new computational methods and capabilities for multi-physics beam dynamics simulation, to take advantage of the extraordinary power of petascale computers.
• Conduct original research independently and in collaborations.
• Interact with LBNL and other investigators working on similar and related scientific problems.
• Prepare research papers for publication.
• Prepare research presentations for seminars and conference.
What Is Required:
• Ph.D. in Physics or a related field.
• Experience and expertise in using parallel computer codes for accelerator design and analysis.
• Experience with accelerator theory, including both single-particle beam dynamics and collective effects.
• Proficiency with programming languages and numerical methods used in scientific research.
• Ability to work independently and in collaboration with scientists both within and outside LBNL.
• Excellent analytical, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
• Good communication skills. Ability to present research results effectively.
• Availability to travel and present work at collaboration meetings, workshops and conferences.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• Experience with Fortran90 and MPI.
Please provide the following required materials along with your application:
• Cover letter
• Curriculum vitae
• Statement of research interests
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
• This is a full time, 1 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=120709 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."