Date Posted: Jan 17, 2018
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- Location: Phoenix, AZ
- Job Number: 7049604
- Posting Date: Jan 17, 2018
- Application Deadline:
Open Until Filled
The major research focus in the DiStefano lab seeks to identify the genes and molecular pathways that make individuals susceptible to the development of severe clinical manifestations of complex diseases, including nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, and diabetic nephropathy. The overall goal of our research is to provide the basis for improved diagnostic capabilities and facilitate the development of more effective treatment and prevention strategies.
We are seeking a post-doctoral fellow to investigate the molecular mechanisms underlying the development of fibrosis in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. The successful candidate will focus on identifying genomic and epigenetic changes that accompany activation of human hepatic stellate cells using state-of-the-art technologies and techniques.
• Performs, on an independent basis, all phases of experimental investigations, and being responsible to the Principal Investigator in the planning, developing, operating, recording, collaborating and reporting of major projects.
• Collaborates with Principal Investigators and senior researchers in the development of major research projects.
• Provides guidance to laboratory staff in one or more laboratory areas, including technicians, support and auxiliary staff. Performs as the technical advisor on techniques involving complex analyses utilizing highly sophisticated techniques. Serves as primary contact with researcher staff for technical services on major techniques, recording devices and statistical procedures relative to the specifically assigned field.
• Reviews quality control of new or modified laboratory techniques that affect any part of major projects.
• Performs routine and non-routine tests leading to the successful completion of developed experiments.
• Assists in the assembly/writing of manuscripts (scientific papers) and grants and keeps abreast of current literature.
• Conducts scientific presentations at national and international meetings (once or twice a year). Presents scientific findings at departmental meetings (monthly).
• Performs various administrative tasks (i.e., order supplies, paperwork, etc.)
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
• A PhD in genetics, genomics, molecular biology, or related field and a strong commitment to translational research
• Expertise in standard molecular and cellular biology techniques and functional genomics
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Ability and desire to work both independently and as part of a highly effective and enthusiastic research team
• Curiosity and an unwavering desire to enhance scientific knowledge
The Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen) is a Phoenix, Arizona-based non-profit organization dedicated to conducting groundbreaking research with life changing results. TGen is focused on helping patients with neurological disorders, cancer, and diabetes, through cutting edge translational research (the process of rapidly moving research towards patient benefit). TGen physicians and scientists work to unravel the genetic components of both common and rare complex diseases in adults and children. Working with collaborators in the scientific and medical communities worldwide, TGen makes a substantial contribution to help our patients through efficiency and effectiveness of the translational process. TGen is allied with City of Hope, a world-renowned independent research and cancer and diabetes treatment center. This precision medicine alliance enables both institutes to complement each other in research and patient care, with City of Hope providing a significant clinical setting to advance scientific discoveries made by TGen. For more information, visit: www.tgen.org.
If you are interested in seeing the most up to date job listings or to apply for this position, please go to https://www.tgen.org/careers-tgen/current-post-doctoral-openings/ and submit your curriculum vitae, including a brief statement of research interests, a list of publications and skills, and contact information for three academic references. Please take a moment to read about our employee benefits and learn more about TGen. If you have any questions about the company or how to apply for a position, please contact HR@tgen.org.
Only resumes submitted through the TGen career website will be considered.
We value and support diversity in our workforce.